''Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring'' Marilyn Monroe

Saturday 8 May 2010

Books, books, books...

I love books and love reading, it is a beautiful sense of escape from the world in which we live. You become engrossed in the lives of the characters and live vicariously through them. I love the sense of a new world and discovering new things through those characters. 
I read a lot when I was younger, in the way that on school breaks I would sit in out living room with a pile of books and read my way through them. I re-discovered one of my childhood favourites on a recent visit to my parents house and so decided I would share a few of my all time greats. 


The Balloon Tree was my actual love when I was about 5 or 6. A princess is obsessed with balloons and her father has to go away to battle but tells her to send out her balloons if she needs him and he will come straight back. Of course her evil uncle tries to take over and destroys all the balloons, but a wizard helps her and it all ends happily ever after. It is such a beautifully illustrated and well written book, full of all the things a good princess story needs. It still makes me happy when I read it now.

 

When I was 12 or 13 I discovered this gem of a book and I still love it! In fact I just started reading it again. Its all about this girl's adventures as she travels to the Amazon to live with a distant relative after her parents did. The book has brilliant descriptions of the Amazon river and the world that surrounds it. It transports you to another place and time in which you love. The characters are beautiful and well made. 

I love reading and I think everyone should discover reading for themselves. 
I grew up in a house full of books and with parents that encouraged reading. I love looking at the books my parents have and stealing a few to read myself. Bookshelves in their house are full of John Grisham and Dick Francis next to the classics and Bill Bryson. 
It is a beautiful pass-time and a wonderful escapism. 

xoxo 
'me'

No comments:

Post a Comment